This is a general guide to cleansing and recharging crystals. It is by no means a total list of ways to cleanse and charge. There is much debate about some of the methods. When in doubt, use your intuition. Many of these methods may be combined for greater effects. In general you will want to both cleanse and charge your crystals. Some crystals only need to be charged as they do not hold negative energy, such as citrine.
Cleansing a crystal is purging the crystal of unwanted residual negative energy. I would compare this to the crystal becoming dirty and needing a bath, while recharging the crystal is like feeding it energy.
You will know when a crystal you have been working with needs to be cleansed. Crystals in the quartz family may become cloudier, where they were bright and clear before, other minerals will lose their luster. Some crystals physically feel heavier, like they are carrying an additional burden. Cleansing is also needed for crystals that you are suddenly repelled by, or start to completely ignore. You may also want to cleanse new crystals.
Crystals always love to be charged.
Methods to Cleanse Your Crystals
· Selenite. Simple, easy and highly effective. Selenite absorbs negative energies and transmutes it to positive energy. Just place your crystals or minerals on a piece of selenite, or rest it touching the selenite, leave in place for at least 1 hour. This method is safe for all crystals and minerals.
· Lay crystals on a bed of rock salt or pack the crystals in rock salt to purify the crystal's energetic matrix for 24-48 hours. This is a convenient technique to use for personal crystals worn as jewelry. We also use this in conjunction with placing the crystals outside under a full moon.
· Bury your crystals in sand, garden soil, natural loam, or clay. It is preferable to bury your crystals in the Earth, so that they have the opportunity to feels the Earth's resonance. This method is slow and gentle. Duration ranges from 24 hours to several days or even months. Obviously the longer the crystal is buried, the deeper the cleansing. We only use this method for crystals in need of a serious cleansing. For example when a crystal has been used under extensive healing sessions and is in need of serious cleansing. We also use this method for crystals that have completely clouded up, and that have begun to repel our attentions.
* Make sure you mark where you buried your crystal, and you may also want to put a reminder on a calendar.
· The smoke of sacred herbs such as sage, cedar, and lavender may be used to cleanse the energetic matrix of crystals. Our personal favorite for smudging is white sage.
· With your crystal held in your hands, begin by breathing slowly and centering yourself. Focus on your crystal, take a long slow breath, and pause while focusing. Raise your crystal and exhale with a burst, visualizing and feeling static and ambient energies spontaneously releasing from the crystal's light matrix. Repeat until you are satisfied (or light-headed ;-).
· If you are a Reiki practitioner, or know a practitioner, crystals may also be cleansed and charged with Reiki energy.
· We only recommend using water for crystals in the quartz family such as clear quartz, smoky quartz, rose quartz, citrine, and agates. You can soak these crystals in a water. Rain water, or water from a spring, stream, or sacred source are the best choices, but tap water will do if these are not available. If the water becomes dingy or murky prior to completion, change the water and continue to bathe your stone. Sunlight and moonlight are beneficial in combination with this method.
Most crystals love running water. Hold your quartz crystal under the tap and allow cold water to flow over it. As you do so, visualize all dark and dense energies dissolving and washing away. If you're at a beach or near a stream, allow the water to flow over your stones. Then air-dry them naturally in gentle sunlight. Keep a firm grip on your crystals during this process and don't leave them where they can be swept away by the tide! Crystals also love rain and thunder storms too. Thunderstorms are an extremely effective way of both charging and cleansing your quartz crystals.
* Please note that not all minerals can be cleansed by water. For example celestite has a limestone matrix which can dissolve in water. Water, especially salt water, is also not recommended for opals, pearls, or turquoise and stones comprised of heavy metals as it can permanently damage the stone. If you do not know the chemical composition of your stone use dry methods to cleanse your stones.
Recharging Your Crystals
· Sunlight: An hour or more of sunlight will charge most crystals. Sunlight is terrific for clear quartz. After a sunbath on your windowsill, your clear quartz crystals will be noticeably brighter.
* Please note that Morion quartz (a sister to smoky quartz) and Amethyst may lighten in color with prolonged exposure to sunlight. Fluorite is also sunlight sensitive.
· Moonlight: Moonlight is a gentle and penetrating method for recharging your stones. The light of the full moon is desirable, being brightest, but the light of any phase will serve.
· Clusters: You may also use clusters, including those found in amethyst cathedrals to recharge your crystals. This is an excellent method for jewelry and smaller crystals.